12/05/2004

Modded and Unlimited

A few weeks ago, when I was looking through Sarah's vast box of Pokemon cards which she's collected over the past few years, I got very excited about making a 'Psych' deck. I set to work constructing a deck of mostly pysch energy Pokemon: my favorite, Mewtwo, and the evolution line of Abra > Kadabra > Alakazam. (How could you not love a joke like that?) I was excited because there were enough of the Abra family to really make a decent deck, and MewTwo EX was a nice add (LOL, like I know!).

I made the deck and played it with Sarah a few times. When we went to the Pokemon Gym meetings I heard folks asking each other about modded or unlimited decks. Someone wanted to play with someone else, but only with a "modded" deck. This modded distinction references a new product line of cards, apparently built to make a better balanced card game. Now I'm not totally clear on when 'modded' (as in modified) starts, but several players have told me that the 'old' cards have black lines between attacks, new ones do not. Also most of the new cards have this sort of faint dotted pokeball motif in the background.

Old MewTwo
New MewTwo EX

Whatever.

Now I looked at my psych deck and realized it was all old cards.

That's partly why I ended up with a modded deck of Dark Team Rocket Returns guys. Those were the only new cards I had. LOL.

I have also learned, the hard way, to be very careful buying booster packs and such at places like Toys R Us or Target. Some of them are 'old' cards. You have to know which decks they're from. To the best of my knowledge modded includes cards from the following sets: Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge, R&S, Sandstorm, Dragon, HIdden Legends, Leaf Green and Fire Red, and maybe others I don't know.

I was very bummed to have all these unmodded cards, or rather, for Sarah to have all these unmodded cards. But, oh joy, you can still use them sometimes. THere are 'unlimited' events in which all cards are possible. And, at the gym, some kids like to play the old decks.

So there you have it on modded and unlimited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home