1/07/2005

Unmodded Revisited and the Rise of the Chicks

Well, Marc-Lloyd got me. I was all stoked cause I beat John, a good player. He had a Team Magma deck and I beat him with my Dark Tyrannitar/Dark Crobat deck. I also beat Makenna. And, later I beat Hope's Dad (sorry, don't know his name). But Marc-Lloyd sucker punched me.

"Let's play," he said. I agreed. Then he told me he was going to use his unmodded deck. "Whatever," I thought. We started to play and the really, really, good kid walked by and said, "Oh no, you're playing modded against unmodded? You're doomed."

Because I'm an idiot I assumed he meant Marc-Lloyd. But curious, I asked, "Why?"

Then I found out. Unmodded cards, from before they changed the water (Firesign Theatre joke), have many advantages over the modded cards. They are not built to run in the same mathematical world. To my credit, I lasted a good while before he finally took the last prize card. It just got boring after a while; I found myself making plays to speed up the game rather than try to win. Turns in the unmodded world just go on forever. There are wacky Poke powers like: your opponent has to flip a coin to see if he can use a trainer, and if he can't, he puts the trainer on the top of his deck (thus drawing it next turn). It's a great way to turn off the trainer advantage. However, I dont' use many trainers. The good kid I beat tonight has 24 trainers in his deck. I know; I asked. I have maybe 12. Maybe that's why I lasted so long.

On another topic, tonight I noticed that Sarah and her friend, Makenna, weren't the only girls. In fact, even though Laura didn't make it, nor the two older girls who are daughters of the gym professor, there were still four girls there. Hope was there, and a new girl whose name I didn't get.

Makenna's mom stayed to watch for a second when she dropped off Makenna, and she stayed about 90 minutes. Turns out she went home and had a conversation with the mother of another girl Sarah and Makenna hang out with, and suggested that JayCee might like to come to this Pokémon thing too. I'm tellin' ya, the girls are taken over this gym. It's awesome.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home