2/12/2005

Proxies

I've heard the term bandied about in the Gym, and of course I know what the word means. But what are proxies in Pokémon TCG all about?

I had a good gym night. I brought both the new pre-release Deoxys deck and the old Dark Bat & Tyran deck. I really like that deck and I believe it is better than I am able to play it. I was bound and determined to play it smarter tonight.

I started by playing Sarah. I won, and felt bad about it because it was a quick win. I got the Dark Tyranitar out and built up in no time. Then I just hit stuff with Bite Off for 70 points. Wham Wham Wham. It's not like she didn't get any licks in. She had an EX and she took a prize card or two until I was able to nail that Aggron EX or whatever it was.

Then I played Jonathan. He's a premier trainer and I figured I was doomed, which of course, I was. He was playing a strange combo deck of Blaziken and Garados EX. Anyhow, I had nothing but energies. I couldn't get anything out or evolved. I did manage to hang in there for a while though, with some clever play, actually, but it was only a matter of time.

Hope was next. I don't like playing her because she seems very unsure of herself and I just can't stand beating her. I think she's about 13 or 14, and she's very sweet. She had the exact opposite problem I had just had. She had her guys out and evolved and couldn't find any energy. Once I had everyone out and evolved I pretty much just went straight through her hand. Some of the wins were benched Basics that got whacked twice with a pumped up Dark Crobat.

l asked to play Kim next. That was a lot of fun because we talked about it as we played. He helps me see the opportunities, and makes me think a few rounds ahead. I lost, but I learned.

Then I asked to play Roberto. He's a very good player. I think he won a top place in the Malibu City Championship. At any rate, he's a premier trainer too. As we started off he told me he was going to use proxies and proceeded to reel off a list of cards that were actually going to be other cards. I shrugged and said, I trust you. Whatever. I thought he was going to beat me. He had great cards out fast. But so did I. He was playing Garados EX and some electrics; I forget which. When the time was called, I was actually ahead 3 cards to his 5. This was partly because I was able to grab two prize cards for fainting his EX, and I nailed a benched Basic. I'm getting better at that. Anyhow, I was stoked.

Dan, the co-gym leader, came up to me, he'd been playing Sarah, and said, "You should play with proxies." I replied, "I don't get that." Dan explained. If you're working on a deck and you haven't gotten all the cards you want to use, you can go to these various websites and download a scan of the card, print it out, and play it in your deck as a stand in. It lets you practice what it would be like with that card and you can decide if you want to try to trade for that card. "But wait a sec," I said, "you mean I could make up a deck of whatever the heck cards I wished I had and play with it? What's that about? You can't play in tournaments with proxies. Shouldn't you learn to play your own real hand?"

I think I came on a little hinkty 'cause Dan backed up a bit and said, "well whatever you want to do. I'm just saying it would be good practice for her." He's right, it would be easier for her to learn to play a good deck than to learn by struggling with a less well constructed one. It doesn't feel right to me though, and I don't intend to do it myself. Apparently it's very common. Dan gave me the name of the site he and his kids use for downloading proxy cards. I've put it up on the links: pokébeach.com. You can see the scans menu on the lower left column.

Proxies...live beyond your means...until tournament time, that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home